Friday 11 January 2013

Review - Thirteen Reasons Why


Author: Jay Asher
Publisher: Razorbill
Publication date: October 18th, 2007
Cover Source: Goodreads



Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker—his classmate and crush—who committed suicide two weeks earlier.
On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he’ll find out how he made the list.
Through Hannah and Clay’s dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.


Wow..Just wow. I was left with no words after reading this one. Wish I'd picked this up sooner! Nothing except reading this fantastic book will help you understand what I am going to try to inadequately express via this review. One thing is for sure, Jay Asher you know how to write.

It is weird to say that I loved a story line involving suicide, one of the leading causes of death among the youth. It certainly is not an easy topic to write about, you have to get the message across but keep the story-line from slipping. Jay Asher you couldn't have done better.

We find out at the beginning that Hannah is dead. But before she commits suicide she makes sure to leave behind 7 tapes in which she states the reasons for her death. We hear 13 different stories of 13 people and how their actions however minute or insignificant, it might have seemed to them, pushed her into taking this serious step.

I loved the chapters being numbered according to the cassette tapes and how the book is written in both Hannah's narrative from the tapes and Clay's reactions and thoughts. At first I was skeptical and was sure it wouldn't work out but it actually helped me to understand and relate to both of them.

The characters were all very realistic and nothing made me feel like this or that person couldn't have done this, or that reason seemed far-fetched. They all were just like real people any of might have or will meet in our life.

This is the second book to make me think about how the littlest of little things, the things we say, do, react to may have a much more significant meaning to someone else than it might have to ourselves (the first being Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver). This one even more so as it was from the view point of a person who was forced to bear with it.

Overall, a beautifully written book with lots of emotions and it really does leave you thinking about your actions and our effect on someone else. I laughed, I cried and I felt every emotion this book was meant to convey. If you haven't read this yet, pick it up right now!!! You'll find it to be just what you need.

Rating : 5 Quills




quill design: QioDen
post signature

3 comments:

  1. Great review! They're making a movie on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH really!!? Can't wait to see if it lives up to the book. =)

      Delete
  2. Very nice inputs! I reviewed this book too, before! If you're interested, here's my review of Thirteen Reasons Why.

    I definitely agree that it deserves full points, and that Jay Asher wrote beautifully.

    I didn't realize that Before I Fall is also about suicide. I've never read the book, although it's in my "maybe I should try this" list...

    ReplyDelete